Thursday, May 29, 2014

Fall 2013: Teaching about thanksgiving


While I was in the south of France I taught at a French preschool and elementary school and it was So much fun! The kids were adorable, so sweet, and eager to learn English.

With the younger kids we just sang songs and read a few books, but with the older kids we went ahead and learned many other things. I taught head, shoulder, knees and toes, played red light green light, talked about emotions, and more.

 One day we devoted to family members and they learned how to tell me who was in their family.

Another day we worked on emotions and sang if you are happy and you know it. I even added a verse for if you are sad and you know it. This always ended in huge fits of giggles from the kids as we pretended to cry and sit on the floor all upset.

But my favorite day of the year was the day in which I taught the kids about my favorite holiday of Thanksgiving.  I printed out these plates that they could color and then proceeded to explain to all of the kids the different foods we ate on thanksgiving and why. With the younger kids, I called them over in groups to fill up their plates. They were all eager to draw carrots, and peas. But when it came to the cornerstone of Thanksgiving dinner they didn’t want to draw it. It took a lot of work to get them to draw turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie. They looked at me like I was slightly crazy. I hadn’t thought about it but they don’t eat those things in France. The best was the child who covered everything on their plate in chocolate... hmmm?
The older kids wrote in the words, and learned how to pronounce them in English. It was a lot of fun to celebrate my favorite holiday! 





No comments:

Post a Comment